This plugin allows you to query an active directory server to retrieve an optionally filtered list of users and display it as a list within a WordPress site. Some of the features of this plugin include:
- Widget – a widget is provided, with a few filtering/formatting options, to allow you to display a user list in any widgetized area
- Shortcode – a shortcode is provided, with all of the plugin’s filtering/formatting options, to allow you to display a user list within any page or post
- Output builder – a full-featured output builder is provided, allowing you to completely customize the format in which each user is displayed within the list. The output builder even allows conditional (if…elseif…else) statements.
- Format options – in addition to the output builder (which is used for each individual user), the following formatting options are also available:
- before_list – Any HTML code you would like to appear before the list of employees. This code is output before the opening title_wrap tag.
- after_list – Any HTML code you would like to appear after the list of employees. This code is output after the closing list_wrap tag.
- after_title – Any HTML code you would like to appear between the closing title_wrap tag and the opening list_wrap tag.
- title_wrap – The HTML element you would like to use to wrap the list title (if set). Just the element name, please; no opening or closing brackets.
- title_class – The CSS class you would like applied to the list title (if set). If you would prefer that no CSS class be applied to the title, leave this blank.
- title_id – If you would like to apply an HTML ID to the list title, you can indicate that here. Remember that IDs should be unique, so, if you plan on using multiple employee lists on a single page, you should leave this blank.
- title – The title you would like to appear at the top of the list. The title is output prior to the opening of the list itself.
- list_wrap – The HTML element you would like to use to wrap the entire list. Just the element name, please; no opening or closing brackets.
- list_class – The CSS class you would like to assign to the opening list_wrap tag, aiding in styling the entire list. If you would prefer that no CSS class be applied to the list, leave this blank.
- list_id – If you would like to apply an HTML ID to the list itself, you can indicate that here. Remember that IDs should be unique, so, if you plan on using multiple employee lists on a single page, you should leave this blank.
- item_wrap – The HTML element you would like to use to wrap each individual employee in the list. Just the element name, please; no opening or closing brackets.
- item_class – The CSS class you would like to assign to each individual employee in the list. If you would prefer that no CSS class be applied to the list, leave this blank.
- item_id – If you would like to apply an HTML ID to each individual employee in the list, you can indicate that here. You can use placeholder variables for user information (any of the fields that are set to be retrieved, plus the user’s username (samaccountname). Simply wrap the placeholder variable with percent symbols (so, to use a placeholder for samaccountname, use %samaccountname%) All disallowed characters (the @ symbol, dots, spaces, etc.) will be replaced with hyphens. Remember that IDs should be unique, so, if you plan on using multiple employee lists that may include the same employee multiple times on a single page, you should leave this blank. Likewise, you should use a placeholder variable that will be unique.
- Field chooser – choose which Active Directory fields to retrieve from the server (note that any fields included in the output builder must be chosen in the field chooser, otherwise they won’t be retrieved and, therefore, won’t be displayed)
- Single user display – feed a username to the shortcode or widget, and a single user will be retrieved and displayed, rather than a list of users
- Search form – a simple search form (the input keyword is searched against all fields being retrieved) is provided
- Multisite-compatible – Options can be set for the entire network, and can be overridden on each individual site within the network. Some options can even be overridden in the widget or shortcode itself.
- Information cache – Information retrieved by this plugin is cached for 24 hours after it is retrieved (this option is not currently configurable, but will probably be in future versions) in order to avoid hitting the AD server more than necessary.
You can connect to the Active Directory server using SSL and/or TLS, if desired. You can also provide multiple Active Directory server addresses to allow load-balancing (a random server is chosen from the list before connecting and querying).
Compatibility Note and Credits
This plugin currently utilizes version 3.3.2 (with some extended functionality built specifically for this plugin) of the adLDAP class from Scott Barnett & Richard Hyland. It has also been tested with version 3.1-Extended and version 3.3.2-Extended as they are included with various versions of the Active Directory Authentication Integration and Active Directory Integration plugins. This plugin is potentially incompatible (and has not been tested) with Active Directory Integration, though; as it all depends on in which order the adLDAP class is instantiated (if this plugin’s copy of adLDAP is included before that plugin’s version, that plugin may not work properly).
This plugin was developed by Curtiss Grymala for the University of Mary Washington. It is licensed under the GPL2, which basically means you can take it, break it and change it any way you want, as long as the original credit and license information remains somewhere in the package.
At this time, this plugin has only been tested on a handful of WordPress installations (all on similar server configurations) with a single Active Directory server, so it is entirely possible that there will be bugs or errors that stop it (or other plugins) from working properly. In order to improve this plugin, please share any feedback you have.
- Implement pagination
- Provide a work-around for the PHP “paging” error
- Investigate allowing results to be filtered by multiple groups
- Investigate allowing results to be filtered by multiple usernames
This plugin can be installed as a normal plugin, a multisite (network-active) plugin or a mu-plugin (must-use).
To install as a normal or multisite plugin manually:
- Download the ZIP file of the current version
- Unzip the file on your computer
- Upload the active-directory-employee-list folder to /wp-content/plugins
To install as a normal or multisite plugin automatically:
- Visit Plugins -> Add New in your Site Admin (for normal WordPress installations) or Network Admin (for multisite WordPress installations) area
- Search for Active Directory Employee List
- Click the “Install” link for this plugin
To activate the plugin on a single site:
- Go to the Plugins menu within the Site Admin area and click the “Activate” link
To network-activate the plugin on a multisite network:
- Go to the Plugins menu within the Network Admin area and click the “Activate” link
To install as a mu-plugin:
- Download the ZIP file of the current version
- Unzip the file on your computer
- Upload all of the files inside of the active-directory-employee-list folder into your /wp-content/mu-plugins directory. If you upload the active-directory-employee-list folder itself, you will need to move active-directory-employee-list.php out of that folder so it resides directly in /wp-content/mu-plugins
- Where should I seek support if I find a bug or have a question?
The best place to seek support is in the official WordPress support forums. If you don’t get an answer there, you can try posting a comment on the official plugin page. Finally, you can hit me up on Twitter if you want me to take a look at something.
- Will this plugin work in a multisite environment?
Yes. It can be activated normally on each individual site or it can be network-activated.
- Will this plugin work in a multi-network environment?
Yes. However, at this time, it is not optimized for a multi-network environment (without a set of functions that are currently unavailable to the public, as they are still under development separately from this plugin). Therefore, it will function as any other multisite-compatible plugin would function.
- Can I use this as a mu-plugin?
You should be able to, though it will make the plugin potentially even more incompatible with the Active Directory Integration plugin.
- Can I show/retrieve members of a specific AD group?
Yes, that is part of the core functionality of this plugin. You can easily filter the list of retrieved users with a specific AD group.
- Can I show/retrieve members of multiple AD groups together?
Not at this time. You can only provide one group at a time to filter the results.
- Can I display a single user with this plugin?
Yes, you can provide a username (samaccountname or userPrincipalName) to retrieve and display a single user from active directory.
- How do I use the output builder?
Documentation for the output builder can be found on the official plugin page. The same documentation can be found by clicking the “More info” link under the output builder field on the plugin’s options page.
- How do I know which Active Directory fields might be available?
Following is a list of standard Active Directory fields of which I am aware (I used a list from a company called Computer Performance to compile this list):
- cn – Common name – First name and last name together
- description – Full text description of user/group
- displayname – The name that should be displayed as the user’s name
- dn – The pre-formatted user string used to bind to active directory
- givenname – The user’s first name
- name – Should be the same as CN
- samaccountname – The unique user ID of the user (generally the login name)
- sn – The user’s last name
- userprincipalname – A unique user ID, complete with domain, used for logging in
- mail – The user’s email address
- mailnickname – The username portion of the user’s email address
- c – Country or region
- company – The name of the user’s company
- department – The name of the user’s department in the company
- homephone – The user’s home telephone number
- l – The physical location (city) of the user
- location – The computer location (??) of the user?
- manager – The user’s boss or manager
- mobile – The user’s mobile phone number
- ou – Organizational unit
- postalcode – ZIP code
- st – State, province or county
- streetaddress – First line of postal address
- telephonenumber – Office phone number
- I got a blank white screen, or only part of the page loaded; what does that mean?
That most likely means that too much information was retrieved and formatted at once by the plugin. Try retrieving/displaying fewer fields and/or filtering the list of users with a specific Active Directory group to see if that solves the issue. I have not yet implemented pagination in this plugin, so there is currently no way to limit the number of users it attempts to retrieve and display at once.
- It doesn’t seem to be retrieving the complete list I expected
Unfortunately, there is a documented issue with PHP that it doesn’t allow “paging” of query results. Therefore, it will only retrieve as many users as your Active Directory is configured to allow on a single “page” (appears to be 1500 by default).
There are no reviews for this plugin.
བྱས་རྗེས་འཇོག་མཁན། & གསར་འབྱེད་པ།
“Active Directory Employee Listing” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.བྱས་རྗེས་འཇོག་མཁན།
ཁྱེད་ཀྱི་སྐད་ཡིག་ནང་ལ་ “Active Directory Employee Listing” ཡིག་སྒྱུར་བྱོས།
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- This is the first stable version of the plugin
- Changed the text input for “fields to show” to a multiple select element on the options page
- Added documentation for the output builder
- This version is the same as 0.2.1a. It was created because of a mix-up with the stable tags for the plugin.
- This is the first version. No documented changes have occurred yet.