Improve your web typography with:
Hyphenation — over 70 languages supported
Space control, including:
- widow protection
- gluing values to units
- forced internal wrapping of long URLs & email addresses
Intelligent character replacement, including smart handling of:
- quote marks
- trademarks, copyright & service marks
- math symbols
- ordinal suffixes
CSS hooks for styling:
- uppercase words,
- initial quotes & guillemets.
wp-Typography has the following requirements:
FAQs are maintained on the wp-Typography website.
Three questions come up so frequently, we will republish their answers here:
Will this plugin slow my page loading times?
More likely than not, your WordPress theme is using an improper function to set the title attribute of your heading’s link. It is probably using the
the_title()function, which delivers the post title after filtering. It should be using
the_title_attribute()which delivers the post title before filtering. Change out this function throughout your theme when it is used inside of an HTML tag, and the problem should go away.
If you are uncomfortable editing your theme’s code, you may alternatively go to the wp-Typography settings page in your admin panel and add
h2to the “Do not process the content of these HTML elements:” field. This will disable typographic processing within improperly designed page title links and page titles.
What are the privacy implications of using the plugin?
wp-Typography does not store, transmit or otherwise process personal data as such. It does cache the content of the site’s posts. If necessary, you can clear this cache from the plugin’s settings page.
Remember, many more FAQs are are addressed the wp-Typography website.
བྱས་རྗེས་འཇོག་མཁན། & གསར་འབྱེད་པ།
“wp-Typography” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.བྱས་རྗེས་འཇོག་མཁན།
5.8.1 – January 25, 2022
- Bugfix: Whitescreen in
Requirementsclass due to error in build process fixed.
5.8.0 – January 25, 2022
- Feature: wp-Typography is now compatible with PHP 8.0.
- Change: WordPress minimum version increased to 5.3.
- Change: PHP minimum version increased to 7.2.
- Change: Support for Internet Explorer 11 has been dropped.
- Change: A fabulous new plugin icon designed by Johanna Amann.
5.7.2 – November 1, 2020
- Bugfix: Dewidowing is applied again (had silently broken since wp-Typography 5.1.0).
term_namewill not have HTML injected anymore.
5.7.1 – June 24, 2020
- Bugfix: Filters can be removed again with
- Bugfix: The block editor does not crash anymore when trying to edit a custom post type that does not support
5.7.0 – May 22, 2020
- Feature: Disable wp-Typography for specific posts/pages (via a sidebar toggle in the block editor or the filter hook
- Feature: New block
wp-typography/typographyadded to apply typography fixes on nested blocks (e.g. in widgets).
- Change: Significantly updated hyphenation patterns for:
- Chinese pinyin (Latin),
- German (Traditional),
- German (Swiss Traditional),
- Latin (Classical),
- Latin (Liturgical),
- Change: The minimum version has been raised to WordPress 4.9.
- Change: The DOM extension is now explicitly required for running the plugin.
- Bugfix: Copying from form fields works again when
Remove hyphenation when copying to clipboardis enabled.
5.6.1 – December 24, 2019
- Bugfix: Some error messages were not getting translated because of a WP.org infrastructure change.
- Bugfix: No more whitescreens when the underlying DOM parser fails.
- Bugfix: The path for script assets is now correctly constructed when wp-Typography is used as MU plugin.
5.6.0 – July 21, 2019
- Feature: Support for new variant of the international dash style without hair spaces for numeric intervals (i.e.
9 – 17).
- Feature: Smart area and volume units (
5m2is transformed into
- Feature: The use of narrow no-break spaces and the true Unicode hyphen can now be enabled via the GUI. Consequently, the filter hook
typo_narrow_no_break_spacehas been deprecated.
- Change: The HTML title handling has been reengineered, and consequently, the
titlevariant of the
typo_disable_filteringhook has been removed.
- Change: CSS class injection for ampersands, acronyms, and intial quotes is now disabled by default.
- Change: The smart quotes preview in the settings page should now be easier to read.
- Change: All external PHP dependencies have been moved to the namespace
WP_Typography\Vendorto reduce the chance of conflicts with other plugins.
- Bugfix: The regular expression for cleaning user-supplied CSS no longer uses invalid syntax. This should fix any errors in PHP 7.3.